No Justice, No Peace

Welcome to the Club!

Sadly enough you are on your own. These clubs are mostly a “Vent your frustration” place, although if you are lucky and find some similar situation that someone has gone through, you may get some decent advice. I am not putting down the clubs, I am just letting you know that it will be almost impossible to find a way to rush your case and save money or find financial help.

The truth is it’s a bumpy ride, your lawyer is the pilot, and you have no idea how to land the plane if he passes out.

The real solutions to many of the injustices suffered by Fathers can only be achieved by uniting and fighting (peacefully) for our rights and our children’s rights. Of course, if you try anything like this you will just be discouraged.

It is a shame to see how women get together for their rights, african-americans join together, mothers join for gun safety, and even Cubans for a little Cuban boy, but Fathers can’t even begin to get it together for their own Children.

I see everyone fighting for every little reason except for their most important little reasons, their children.

If you are just starting your case, the best thing you can do is be strong for your children, be patient because it WILL be frustrating, and always have a positive and loving attitude around your children. Do Not bring up your hate for the woman and the situation out to them so they can see that your world revolves around them and that they are all that matters.

New Member Here

Hi My name is Matt. I have 3 kids. Girl(9), Boy(8) I have full custody of those two. I have a 4.5 yr old daughter with a woman I was never married too. I live in La. And she lives in Ct with her mother. I am trying to prepare to take her to court. I have to take her to court in Ct. At this point she refuses to let me see my daughter. She is just being vindictive. I am married and my wife is a great stepmom. But my daughters mother hates her. She has told me that as long as I am in any kind of relationship with my wife then I will never see my daughter again.

I cannot afford a lawyer at this time. I needed about $500-$600 to pay for his services. I even had to take a cash advance from company (very fast service, btw!). Now I am trying to get legal aid in Ct to help me. If anyone is wondering I did sign my daughter’s bc. At this time all I have is phone number to call my daughter at. The mother has moved and will not give me the address. I have asked her for an address to send her child support. She tells me not to worry about that. That she has contacted the state of Ct and they will contact me. Well after a while and they had not contacted me,my wife and I found that funny.

So we called social services in Ct and they told me that they do not have a thing on me and that they cannot request child support unless she asks for their help. He also told me that since there are no court orders for child support and she has not requested their help to get it,that I am under no legal obligation to pay her child support. Well I have no problems with paying child support to her. All I want is joint custody or at least visitation with my child. I would like any advice/information/help that anyone can give me.

PS You can email if you want too.

Online research works best if you have legal training

The research works by retrieving cases in response to specific legal questions. Ask the question and you get a wrong answer. What many people do not know is that many lawyers simply cannot research online adequately. Thats why lots of law firms still have law libraries even tho the space those libraries occupy can be costly.

Many courthouses have law libraries which are open to the public. Any reference material that is online will also be available in the library. The only thing you will not be able to get are unpublished opinions by judges.

Rather than read casebooks, try to review articles by legal commentators. AmJur (American Jurisprudence), Colliers, Matthew Bender, Corpus Juris are all multi-volume sets which offer commentary on various issues in the fields of law. The down side is that these reference books discuss the law in general terms and footnote citations to applicable for specific states so you still have to go back to the legal opinions for your particular state.

In addition, some bar associations publish periodical(s) on a semi-regular discussing trends in that state’s law. Again, the law librarian can help you identify that periodical and you can ascertain if it publishes any articles that may be of interest to your case.

Personally, I believe that a lay person should read the commentators’ review of the general state of the law BEFORE delving into statutes and cases – it helps you understand what you should look for in general terms before you attempt to answer specific questions. For example, if you want the state of the law in your state on move away issues, go to Am Jur first and read up on the general trends. That way, you have a general understanding of the law. Then check the footnotes for citations to your state’s law and try to find the statutes (if there are laws on the books) and the cases dealing with the issue. If there are neither, you can still argue the general trend of the law when you make your request.

Finally, if you are proceeding pro se, you should purchase or be familiar with the local rules of civil procedure. You can’t even begin to play the game if you do not know the rules the court is playing by. Remember, law is not always fair. Know the rules and don’t rely upon your own sense of fairness – if you do, you will live to regret it.